In the Beginning . . . Scrub sage covered the inland valleys of Los Angeles County, intersected by ribbons of oaks and sycamores along intermittent streams. By 1900 small settlements were established, and over the years a thriving citrus industry developed, irrigated by wells tapping underground aquifers.
As the county's population grew, orchards gave way to housing and commerce. Civic leaders understood that the wells would run dry unless a new source of water could be obtained. From this realization sprang a new institution, the Metropolitan Water District (MWD), and by 1941 MWD first delivered water "imported" to the region through the 242-mile-long Colorado River Aqueduct.
Water leaders in the Pomona Valley soon made plans to join MWD and obtain access to Colorado River supplies. In 1950 their efforts were rewarded; voters approved formation of the Pomona Valley Municipal Water District by an overwhelming 80-to-1 margin. Later that year MWD annexed the new district, and a supplemental water supply was assured. In 1986, the name was changed to better describe the service area, which spans not only the Pomona Valley, but the Walnut Valley and eastern portion of the San Gabriel Valley as well. The boundaries today encompass 133 square miles, with about one-half million residents.
After extensive community debate and involvement, the Miramar Water and Hydroelectric Facility was constructed in 1987 at a cost of $30 million. The Facility was financed with a revenue bond and letter of credit under a three-way partnership between Three Valleys, the City of La Verne, and Golden State Water Co.